This page will teach you how to link your PayPal account with your M-Pesa mobile wallet so that you can easily perform transactions between them. Back in 2018, Both companies, PayPal and M-Pesa, decided to strike a partnership deal to enable their users to transact easily. This partnership was facilitated by international fintech, TransferTo.
If you want to start using this service, you must have a new or existing PayPal account with its nationality set to Kenya, any other country won’t work. You also need to have an M-Pesa mobile wallet. It is worth noting that if the name(s) used to register your PayPal is not the same as the name(s) used to register your M-pesa, it will not work.
How To Link your PayPal Account to your M-Pesa Wallet
- Visit http://www.paypal-mobilemoney.com/m-pesa
- Log into your PayPal account
- Read TransferTo’s service terms and conditions and agree to them.
- Add the Safaricom MPESA number of your M-Pesa wallet.
- You will recieve a verification code/OTP via SMS on your Safaficom number.
- Input the code in the required box.
And you are done. you can now perform transactions between PayPal and M-Pesa with ease.
How to transfer money from PayPal to M-Pesa
Before doing this, you have to know the amount you want to transfer in US Dollars. You can know this by using this currency converter provided by PayPal. follow the steps below:
- Open your M-PESA,
- Select the “Lipa na M-PESA” option
- Then select “Pay Bill”.
- Enter 800088 as the business number, and your phone number as the account number.
- You will receive confirmation message via SMS that a certain amount of US Dollars were added to your PayPal balance.
How to transfer money from M-Pesa to PayPal
- Visit https://www.paypal-mobilemoney.com/m-pesa/withdraw
- enter the amount you would like to withdraw in USD (maximum of Ksh. 70,000)
- Continue to withdraw and the converted amount will then be sent to your MPESA account
NB: this kind of transaction can only be done twice a day given that the daily transaction limit is ksh. 140,000.